Shane Kelly, Founder
"Technology and content inspire the imagination.
Imagination will inspire a more equitable economy."
Shane founded Cinematica Labs on the belief in the power of imagination to create real and lasting change. Having supported brilliant visionaries in the film and tech arenas, he is combining those worlds in the vision for Cinematica Labs to invest, operate, and realize impact at the intersection of content and technology.
As a film finance executive in New York, he worked to help top filmmakers realize such feature films as Robert Altman’s Prairie Home Companion and John Turturro’s Romance & Cigarettes.
As a tech investor in California, he invested in and supported inspiring tech entrepreneurs such as Rachel Payne (FEM, Acquired by Nielsen Gracenote) and Ramses Alcaide (Neurable).
Bringing those experiences together, Cinematica Labs is investing at the intersection of extraordinary storytelling and deep technology.
- Earned BS from Morehouse College. While at Morehouse, undertook the Semester at Sea voyage, circumnavigating Earth by boat in 100 days.
- Joined GreeneStreet Films to help raise several rounds of venture capital and build a slate of over 20 motion pictures generating $250 million at the box office
- Received a Consortium for Graduate Study in Management Fellowship to earn an MBA with honors at University of Michigan
- Launched Wolverine Angels, an early stage investment firm and mentor network with investments including Neurable and FEM (Acq Nielsen). The firm pools capital and expertise among University of Michigan alumni to accelerate early stage tech startups.
- Signed on to produce the forthcoming documentary Restarting the Motor City on entrepreneurship, equity, and inclusion in Detroit.
- Joined CrowdSmart to lead its seed investment fund. The company’s proprietary technology platform combines human expertise and artificial intelligence to increase transparency and reduce bias in the investment process. Made 15 investments in 2 years including Air and Syntiant
- Served as a mentor for accelerators including Techstars, Backstage Capital, Nex3, and Female Founders Alliance
- Joined the Advisory Board for Plug In South LA, a network for entrepreneurs and venture investors in the South Los Angeles community. The organization hosts the annual Urban Tech Connect Conference with past speakers including LA Mayor Eric Garcetti and rapper/entrepreneur Chamillionaire.
Cinematica Labs is currently hiring a Coordinator.
Contact us below to learn more. 👇