Our first edtech venture is on a mission to solve the translation gap between traditional brick-and-mortar schooling and online education.
Partnering with a number of top tier institutions, including 2 of the top 25 universities in the country, this company creates 10,000+ video projects each year - and not the typical talking heads with a slide show...
These degreed programs look like they could air on a cable network or premium streaming channel, or even in a movie theater - employing their unique cinematic techniques & technology to engage and inspire students.
Accounting and Finance Lead
- Ensure accounting data is synced and classified properly
- Conduct reconciliations to catch any errors in the records and monitor for unexpected income/expense
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial reporting to management team
- Close the accounting books monthly including bank reconciliations and project costs allocations
- Allocate costs to projects to generate P&Ls by project and by business unit across 4 operating entities
- Forecast Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable and escalate issues proactively
- Manage preparation and support of audits
- Work with external accounting firm to ensure proper filing of tax returns
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance for financial matters
- Sync with external accounting firm on monthly close and year-end financials
- Enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and controls
- Oversee production cost; anticipate any variance/overage and flag for Operations Executive
- Monitor corporate P&L against Project P&Ls to identify opportunities for increasing profitability
- Manage payroll for staff and oversee payroll for productions
- Manage cash flow across receivables, payables, purchase orders and projects
- Exceptional communication with customers and vendors
- Invoice clients on contracted milestones
- Ensure financial transparency for CEO, external accountant and Operations Executive
- Experience managing multiple priorities simultaneously in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
- Ability to move at the speed of production, very responsive to AP and AR needs as well as special projects
- Ability to create structure from chaos rapidly
- Understanding of accounting including profit and loss, balance sheet and cash-flow management.
- Ability to build consensus and relationships among managers, partners, and employees
- Excellent communication skills
- Solid understanding of financial management.
- Building out new ideas, initiatives or projects
- Experience with Quickbooks or similar accounting software
- Savvy in working with spreadsheets
- Bachelors or Masters Degree from a top institution
- Experience with Google Drive and G Suite
- Several years of experience with Quickbooks and a production accounting software package (like Media Services)
Shane Kelly, Founder
"Technology and content inspire the imagination.
Imagination will inspire a more equitable economy."
Shane founded Cinematica Labs on the belief in the power of imagination to create real and lasting change. Having supported brilliant visionaries in the film and tech arenas, he is combining those worlds in the vision for Cinematica Labs to invest, operate, and realize impact at the intersection of content and technology.
As a film finance executive in New York, he worked to help top filmmakers realize such feature films as Robert Altman’s Prairie Home Companion and John Turturro’s Romance & Cigarettes.
As a tech investor in California, he invested in and supported inspiring tech entrepreneurs such as Rachel Payne (FEM, Acquired by Nielsen Gracenote) and Ramses Alcaide (Neurable).
Bringing those experiences together, Cinematica Labs is investing at the intersection of extraordinary storytelling and deep technology.
- Earned BS from Morehouse College. While at Morehouse, undertook the Semester at Sea voyage, circumnavigating Earth by boat in 100 days.
- Joined GreeneStreet Films to help raise several rounds of venture capital and build a slate of over 20 motion pictures generating $250 million at the box office
- Received a Consortium for Graduate Study in Management Fellowship to earn an MBA with honors at University of Michigan
- Launched Wolverine Angels, an early stage investment firm and mentor network with investments including Neurable and FEM (Acq Nielsen). The firm pools capital and expertise among University of Michigan alumni to accelerate early stage tech startups.
- Signed on to produce the forthcoming documentary Restarting the Motor City on entrepreneurship, equity, and inclusion in Detroit.
- Joined CrowdSmart to lead its seed investment fund. The company’s proprietary technology platform combines human expertise and artificial intelligence to increase transparency and reduce bias in the investment process. Made 15 investments in 2 years including Air and Syntiant
- Served as a mentor for accelerators including Techstars, Backstage Capital, Nex3, and Female Founders Alliance
- Joined the Advisory Board for Plug In South LA, a network for entrepreneurs and venture investors in the South Los Angeles community. The organization hosts the annual Urban Tech Connect Conference with past speakers including LA Mayor Eric Garcetti and rapper/entrepreneur Chamillionaire.